Scientific name: Loxodonta africana
Height: 3.2 m
Habitat: Tropical and Subtropical Moist Broadleaf Forests, Flooded Grasslands and Savannahs, Miombo woodlands, Acacia savannahs.
Average life span in the wild: Up to 70 years
· The African elephant is the world’s largest land mammal.
· They communicate through vibrations (seismic signals).
· They have around 150,000 muscle units in their trunk.
· They keep their skin clean and protect themselves from sunburn by taking regular dust and mud baths.
· Around 90% of African elephants have been wiped out in the past century.