Scientific name: Gorilla gorilla and Gorilla beringei
Types of Species: Eastern Gorilla and the Western Gorilla.
Average life span in the wild: 35-40 Years.
Weight: 100–270 kg
Height: 4-6 Ft.
- The DNA of gorillas is highly similar to the humans.
- Gorillas have hands and feet like humans including opposable thumbs and big toes.
- Some gorillas in captivity have learned to use sign language to communicate with humans.
- Gorillas live around 35 years. They can live longer, up to 50 years, in captivity.
- They sleep at night in nests. Baby gorillas will stay in their mother’s nests until they are around 2 ½ years old.
- They are highly intelligent and have now been observed using tools in the wild.